Current Gaming Projects

Monday, January 2, 2012

2012 - the 90th anniversary of the end of the Newport Rolling Mills Strike, Kentucky

OK, I was Google surfing today looking for some pictures of armored vehicles used the Falklands and I some how got side tracked (which is actually very easy for me when I am looking up historical photographs.) I am not really sure how I got to the following as I was not looking up anything that related to the following.  But behold, I found the picture that haunted me since I first saw it on the Ken Burn's documentary, "Prohibition" (Excellent show and excellent book, see my review here - Link).   If you have not noticed from some of my earlier post, I have had a long fascination of the 1920's and 1930's, especially the Rum War (the enforcement of Prohibition) and the War on Crime (bank robberies and other lawlessness of the 1930's).  I have also found some of the labor strikes interesting, but really have not started reading up on them, even thought I have a dozen or so books on the subject, mostly on Blair Mountain.  It is some thing that I have often thought of dabbing in miniature, but really have not yet.  Anyway, this is one of those pictures that really gets my attention and really start thinking about gaming the period.  


 The picture is a FT-17 tank from the Kentucky Army National Guard crushing captured moonshine stills during the Newport Rolling Mills Strike.  The National Guard was sent in on Dec. 24th, 1921, and the strike did not end until April, 1922.  Two National Guardsmen were killed during the strike duty and both by accidental discharges of a revolver falling and striking the ground and discharging.  This was two different events, which I also find amazing.  Below is another picture from the strike.  


Of course, this could also stir some one's interest in doing a 2nd American Civil War in the 1920's or 30's that is something in the line of the popular gaming period, "A Very British Civil War."  But that is too much for me to consider to game due to other commitments, but it idea is keen.

1 comment:

commissarmoody said...

Great photos, I have been wanting to do a 2nd ACW myself but, just couldnt get any one intrest in my old group.